Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What Kind Of World Do I Live in?


This is not an idle question.

I've got my 53rd birthday coming up soon.

I have two master's degrees (basically), write as much music as I can, am an indifferently talented tango dancer, have a ton of great friends and the sky overhead tonight is spangled with stars, stars that shine strong enough to punch their way through the lights of the city.

Town.

City.

Whatever.

I'm nursing an ouzo at Geno's rock bar, a punk rock evening was scheduled to start 20 minutes ago - but, of course, they're punkers, so they're only just loading in right now - which means they all came straight to the bar and ordered big shots of ice-cold Jägermeisters.

Hopefully I'll be out before the show begins.  This doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to hear it - or at least sense the vibrations - from my apartment.  It's just across Bosnia and if they really take off I can often pick the sound up, faintly.

This is all relevant because my life, part-time job and all, is so much more involved, more intense, than it ever was when I was teaching in public schools.

It's as if two more heaping tablespoons of Nestle's Quick have been dumped into my eight-ounce glass of milk and been thoroughly stirred.  Much, MUCH more chocolate taste.  Much more fun.

I suppose that it means I'm doing more good by just being myself more often.

We shall see.

No comments: