Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunny Spring So Far ...


MobileMe gallery is here.

I don't want to jinx this.  It's a very bright, almost - almost - warm day out.  

My computer's widget tells me that it's 58º outside here in the Old Port.  I have a 3 p.m. tango workshop to attend.

I'm the proud possessor of a new hybrid bike.  It's outside, securely - very securely - chained to the parking meter.  It's last year's model, marked down around 50% or I'd never have considered buying the thing.

My goal is to start riding at least an hour a day - 30 minutes out and then 30 minutes back, checking to see how far I can go before bumping the time/distance up each time.  It's the same system I'd use to start training to run.  Since my heel still hasn't decided to heal up from the unfortunate incident of the new shoes I have to use a bike to get moving out.

I've forgotten the feeling of fun that goes with riding a bike for any distance.  I've only had this one for two days and if I'm not careful I can over work myself.

To top it all off I took a tango lesson with Javier Rochwanger (of Buenos Aires) the other day.  It was a great time - we tend to work on making me comfortable with moving using the sense of time and phrasing I possess as a composer.

All told it makes for some real fun.

This is that short, rare time when the leaves really have not started to bud, when you can see the most interesting sights between the trees, looking through the branches.

A lot of the dust has been swept up - this makes it easier for those of us burdened with contact lenses.

I like seeing the bones of the land.  Warm greens will be welcome, warmth in general even more so.

But this brief period give you a sense of the ground that surrounds us.

So I try to get out as much as I can.  The Orchard has been calling me in a lot.  This is nice as the money is welcome.  Additionally there is a renewed sense of the fun that so many people bring into the place.  You never know who will walk in - you never know what problems or personalities they will share.

It's like adding RAM to a computer.  It gives you more headroom, software can execute itself with much greater efficiency.  I feel like I'm much more myself.  This is a great feeling.

Well, I have to run - or ride - up to my tango class.  It should be fun.  Looking out the window here at JavaNet I see what looks like an army of people parading by.

I think this weather, this day, will be the turning point of the season.  It doesn't mean we won't get more snow - it just means that the context has changed, so a storm of any kind will mean just less than at any other time in the previous season.

I can't wait.

No comments: