Thursday, April 23, 2009

Many Pieces in the Same Place


I've been up to raid my friend Mia's house - pulling data off her computer, grabbing CD's for her to listen to.

Some of the copses of trees still had snow under them.  Anyplace else in world - everyplace else - is well into Spring.

Maine?  Not so much.

I celebrated my birthday weekend by sitting in the hospital emergency room with her.  We were worried some kind of "incident" had occurred in her brain - but it was just an infection.  Many, many tests and a long time sitting in a curtained room telling knock-knock jokes to keep up our spirits.

A final determination sent her back to her facility at 4 a.m. - and I crawled off to sleep in the bath.

On the same day I found myself scheduled for full shifts as a Creative at the Orchard.

This was the start of the payoff I've taken so many risks to play for.

So it has been a week of startling contemplations:  The stark, transitory beauty of late Winter/early Spring in the mountains of Maine.

The danger of losing one of my oldest friends ever - and then getting her back, at least most of her.

Getting a chance to do what I do well (besides write music) which is explain and help people find more ways to be themselves.

Now I learn my father's wife (I can't call her my "stepmother") has had a stroke.  I'm taking steps to support him (which I'll write about later).

I hope the toughening such transitions require is worth the inevitable systemic strain they cause.


No comments: