Sunday, March 8, 2009

Roses In the Window of Dunkin' Donuts


I'm thinking that we might have turned a corner. 

Today Daylight Savings Time went into effect.  Or it ended.  Or we just switched the clocks for the ever loving hell of it.

I don't know and I've never really been sure. Still when they tell me to switch my clock I switch it and if we all agree to see the same elephant in the middle of the road then that will explain the loss of all the peanuts.

The first clue, outside of the obvious change in the weather was the strange appearance of a basket of plastic roses in the window of the Dunkin' Donuts at the corner of Congress and Oak.  

It seemed a strange thing to see.  We've had a very warm stretch of weather - "warm" being defined by temps averaging more than 40 degrees.

There are major holes in the snow banks, the ice dams on the roofs are all receding.  I like it.  It seemed like the whole town was reaching its limit for dealing with all the winter weather.

In some cases it's not really very pretty.  The snow had the advantage of smoothing over all the mess on the ground, including that left by its own melting.

But now I'm seeing large patches of brown grass starting to appear in around the bases of the trees in Deering Oaks.  

The skating pond is off limits.

Even though it's only three or four feet deep on the strongest days the City (reasonably, I think) doesn't want to take the chance that someone would fall through and sue the City's ass off.

I did mention there are a lot of lawyers in town, didn't I?

Nonetheless I'm feeling ready for a change, to begin slouching through Spring to Summer.  I'm not sure at all what this will bring to me.  

No matter what I think this change will happen.  Probably be good to think about and enjoy.

All of the detritus is starting to thaw.  Cigarette butts, dirt, pieces of paper - all are starting to appear as their icy covering melts away.

Not a pretty sight - but hopeful transitions often are not pretty sights - they may be beautiful, maybe even terribly beautiful, but not pretty.  

We have to go through on our way to another place.

It's a sense of the meta-meaning of the snow - it has a meaning that comes separate from its surface illusion.  It's partly what you see and partly what you feel and then mostly what you feel about what you feel.

Very useful to think about - but I don't want to be limited purely to thinking.

No matter.  The sun is becoming warm and our curbs are coming back as well as the warm red brick of the sidewalks.  Whatever lessons, trials, triumphs or possibilities attached to this Winter are starting to run out and a new set are taking their place.

We will be different people in this new season.  

We will be the same people with different air and ground to live in .

I'm very curious - I'm always curious - to see what we will all become as it goes around.

No comments: