Saturday, March 14, 2009

It's Pi Day! It's Pi Day!


Clear.  Cold.  

To paraphrase "The Lion In Winter" tonight will be pocked with stars.  I can't wait.

I'm in one of those odd moods - it seems strange to see it even typed out - "odd moods" - where life seems like switching positions in a great, brilliant parade.

For one moment I'm a little boy sitting on the sidewalk (and I can show you the spot on Boston Ave. in Tulsa) watching a band march by, listening to it belt out "Manhattan Beach", totally hypnotized by the sound of the big bass drum ...

... and then I'm blasting a baritone bugle and marching through Union Square in San Francisco, tearing the night open with "In the Stone", watching people watch me as part of the Chinese New Year's parade ...

... and life is like that, a parade where you watch wonderful things pass by purely for your entertainment, then you get be part of the excitement, creating moments for the world ... and the view caroms wildly from one to the other, you watch, you march, you watch, you march - and the satori of experience leaves you giddy ...

.... and you have a piece of pie.

Today is Pi Day - Einstein's Birthday and the 3rd of March - 3/14 - and if you eat a piece of pie at 4 p.m. (1600) you'll be really really lucky and great ideas will come to you because it's 3/14.16 or 3.1416, chance will favor your prepared mind and it's just cool.

I've been offered a part in a play - a professor friend from USM wants to do a play by a Canadian Native (up there they call us Aboriginals), mostly about how Elders also have to have lives too - set in a conference about Native sexuality it brings several couples together and re-arranges them until they make more sense.

I wasn't really sanguine about it but a read-through of the script this morning really had me laughing.  He gets the voice of Native humor - self-deprecating and devastatingly apropos.  If the timing of the delivery is right it could be a real hoot.

I'm just worried about how much memorization and delivery I'd have to do.  Might be a good challenge, if circumstances permit.

And the pie?  I'm down in the window of JavaNet again and yet another piece of wonderful pie, apple this time, has met it's purpose in life.

Washed it down with a big mug of hot coffee.

Maybe this satori, this swing of position, is the only way my poor, poor mind can handle such a broad point of view, that trying to know either all the joy or all the sorrow in the universe will drive you mad.

Mostly I think - at least until I have another cup of coffee, no more pie, thank you - that you shouldn't get on the Tilt-A-Whirl and expect the ride to be smooth.

It's dark out now and the Saturday night parade is starting outside the window here at JavaNet.  Sometimes I watch the parade - sometimes I am the parade.

Either way - it's fun.  And there's always pie.

No comments: