Thursday, March 12, 2009

Back In the Barber Chair Again


The great melt continues.  If this keeps up we might well have our sidewalks back by the end of the weekend.

Our temps are moving above 40 for the next week.  The snow is looking pretty ratty by now.  Cigarette butts, dog poo - everything is thawing out.

It actually doesn't smell too bad.  Back in the early 90's, before Portland passed strong leash laws the March thaw - sometimes the February one - would see all the residue of thousands (seemingly) of dogs that had been buried and frozen in the snow start to thaw and become biologically active.

THAT was a memorable olfactory experience.

I'm sitting here in my barber chair at the Empire - Party More (Ian and Chris) are laying down thumpy dance beats - mostly strange 70's mixes.  I'm told that the music gets more moderne as the evening progresses.

I'll have to take their word.  This - believe it or not - is my wind-down from the work day, as I almost always seem to be working on Thursday.

Besides it's fun to get out and do something totally different than my usual routine.  Believe me - this is as different as it gets.

Tough news on the personal fronts.  My real older sister Sue is in the hospital with a stomach problem, which has placed her on dialysis.  This is not good news.  She's tough, Sue is, but this bodes a difficult fight.

Also, my surrogate older sister Mia is in the local hospital recovering from a serious stroke.  I've seen the MRI and it's not much of an attractive prospect either.  Her voice has recovered - as have her spirits - but there is still some vision processing problem.  More surgery may be on tap but for now, mostly recovery, rest and rehab.

I admit to being worried.  

I did get a chance to attend the dress rehearsal of an opera last night - actually two one-acts by Puccini.  I'll write a more formal review tomorrow.  Right now I need to head home and put my feet up.  Otherwise I might have more Black Russians than is good for me - which is exactly one, which I've had already.

Thursday night.  Strange place.

No comments: