Friday, March 27, 2009

Dancing On Brick With Dry Feet


It's been a rule-of-thumb I've had for years: "Do not become happy about Spring until the street crews begin sweeping up the debris from the melted snowbanks on the sidewalks".

This rule has served me well for the quarter-century (or so) that I've lived in Portland.  It isn't always accurate - I distinctly remember going cross-country skiing on my birthday - April 18 - so I wouldn't bet the rent.

Still, it's a very New England thing to do, waiting until the earth's dihedral angle makes it pretty much physically impossible for snow to form.

Hurricanes, hail, the occasional rain of blood, yes - snow, not so much.

So I am allowing myself to be mildly heartened by the cleanliness (relative cleanliness) of the sidewalk outside of JavaNet's window.  The people that co-ordinate the Old Port are really good at keeping a tourist-friendly air about the place.  For that reason I'm not surprised that the sidewalks have been swept.

One can get away with a sweater and a corduroy blazer rather than a full-length top coat, or, heaven forfend, a parka.

Those might be the watchwords for the day - "getting away with".

Words to live by.

No comments: