Thursday, March 19, 2009

tango In the Blue Sky - 3


A lot more people - more than 20, including those getting dinner at the bar - have arrived.  It looks an even mix of folks from Portland and Portsmouth.

The evening is progressing very well.

If the idea is to provide "atmosphere" then we're well on our way.

I'm working on a soda and lime (sadly, I have a long drive home and I'm saving my booze budget for Party More - believe it or not I'm going to the Empire when this is done) and have managed to have a couple of dances.

As usual it's more fun to watch and see how people relate to the music and structure of phrasing in the dance.

I've finished a new tango this afternoon - the piece is scored and ready to edit.  My original idea was to work on the score here before this all started but the fun started and I got dragged in.

Besides, the lamb pizza was so rich I couldn't finish it.

Sue me.

Anyway, this has turned out to be a lively experience.

People are dancing to the point that they're actually getting tired and flopping into the leather booth with a sigh and small gasp.

Adrianna has chosen a very classic set of songs.  They're all three minutes or slightly longer.

Sometimes you go to these things and DJ's will chooses more pop - or alternative - music that has a solid danceable beat - but runs for six or seven minutes and tends to wring you out.

Not physically, but psychically.  

It's hard to be inventive for that length of time - even for those of us who make their livings by being inventive.

It's hard to relax when you can't relax.

Adrianna has been called away by the waitress - who, by the way, has been very attentive, supportive and interested in this experience - to attend a lady who is asking about lessons.

This may go in  unexpected directions.

A lot of converesations - both on the floor and off the floor.

There is a knot of locals in the bar that I observed when getting my soda.  When cortinas are played - generally Adrianna uses pop songs - the folks in the bar tend to smile and recognize them and make "now that's more like it - who wants to listen to that other shit".

Oh, by the way - for those of you playing at home a cortina ("curtain") is the short piece of music, generally non-tango, that separates each group of three songs that constitutes the length of a couple's social dance.

No comments: