Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Wolf-dogs, coffins and Valentines


Well, truth be told it's really been a madhouse.

A very enjoyable, rather silly madhouse, but a madhouse nonetheless.

I should be more regular in keeping with this blog as so much happens that it's hard to summarize  and I don't like to write giant posts that try to give each event its due.

Right now I'm at the NorthStar, trying to write while a poetry slam happen around me.  It's neat, loud and obnoxious.  

Portland is the city of poets - at least if you start with Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and go from there.  A great tradition is continued here - maybe less structured but still expressive.

For myself - Saturday saw the "Valentine Bandit" strike the streets of the City of Poets.  Red hearts appeared on the doors of businesses all along Congress street - a giant heart flew from the top of Portland Museum of Art.

Typing-paper sized ones were everywhere else.

It's been happening for more than two decades.  Who does it, where they come from - and why - are still mysteries.  I suppose I could get up early (and was tempted this year) and track down this creant (a "miscreant" causes trouble - this one causes fun, so a "creant" is the best I can come up with ). 

Somehow that takes the fun out of it.  I can live with mystery.  Come to think of it I think all of my friends are that way too.

That and they have a high tolerance for knock-knock jokes.  I just seem to get along better with folks like that.

Sunday saw a trip up to the Loki Clan Wolf Sanctuary.

My friend L/A drove us up, with her two wolf-dog hybrids in the back seat.  Odin, the larger white one seemed to cotton up to me very quickly, something his owner called a rare occurrence. Naia, the smaller dark one, spent of the trip up either trying to hide behind a seat belt or throwing up.

Interesting.

The Sanctuary itself is on the side of a mountain overlooking the Maine/New Hampshire border - very lovely, but very, very cold and ice.

The animals - both full wolves and wolf-dog hybrids (still working out that terminology) are in large pens, almost an acre in size, 8 or 10 each containing a pack of 3-4 animals.  

Without exception they are beautiful, powerful animals - very much themselves, very much present in the place they are.  I can see how someone could give his life to saving such creatures.

I'm pretty sure I'm not that kind of person but it's still something to think about - the idea that such folks are out there in the world.

I'm working on a web site for the Sanctuary and it's leading me into contact with all sorts of people that I wouldn't have met before.  Just like sitting here with one ear on this poetry slam is showing me things that I might not have been aware of.

And I like words.

Oh.  yes.

I saw a strange, coffin-like box just squatting in the snow of Bosnia behind Geno's.

I suspect it was a tool box that someone had tossed off the back of a truck, but, like so many of these things it implies some kind of story happened there that I just missed by a few minutes.

Actually, it was a tool box.  I figured since it was still late afternoon and the sun was still up I'd have a good chance to open it safely.

No undead screaming in agony at the Sun's intrusion.  Just a car net, some rope and duct tape.

Maybe I'd come on the end of a failed murder case.  Who knew?

Oh well.  Enough mystery in my life these days.  I have too many on my plate.

I guess, like with the Valentine Bandit I'll have to learn to live with that one too.

No comments: