Thursday, February 19, 2009

Full of incident and comment


So here it is, another Thursday night with Party More at the Empire.  Seated in this barber chair I can see the whole floor - which is easy as there is no one on it.  Some folks are showing up to chat, drink are out - I'm working on a Single-Malt.

It's an easy camaraderie.  We're catching up on personal details and reactions to news, politics and music.  Some discussion of the Orchard, but mostly as a springboard to other subjects.

I've been working on a new piece, something a little slower than the last milonga-style piece and the waltz that came before that.

I think it's a neat one - I'm sure it will sound different as I work out the orchestration.  That's where a tango seems to live.

Took a lesson on Tuesday with Javier Rochwanger.  He's been visiting from Buenos Aires, teaching classes over the weekend (when I was on the mountain) and giving private lessons.  I worked on phrasing and control in turns.  Afterwards we listened to the latest waltz on the laptop and talked about the theory of writing for what dancers need and making it sound "Argentine".

I felt really confirmed by the work.  It was hard, I have to really concentrate to remember the sequence of what happens.  

We had snow last night - icy, fine and dry when I went to bed.  Waking up in the middle of the night I heard rain, or at least dramatically dripping melt water off the roofs next to the dooryard outside my window.

This morning saw an end, at least for the morning.  Thick fat flakes took over in the afternoon.  Very strange, dramatic and pretty.

The rest of the day has been working in the Orchard, teaching lessons and chatting to folks about what they needed to have happen in their devices.

Not a bad day's work.

No comments: