Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Penitence


I don't see how it's possible to have what the British call a "morning head" at 12:52 in the afternoon but I seem to have managed it.

I also suspect that it's my body reacting to the sheer amount of "things" I've been doing (no snarking, please) in the last week.

For someone with as much time on my hands I have it seems strange to look at my iCal and have it be almost solid with events.

The capper was last night's Mardi Gras bash at the Empire,  a fund raiser for WMPG, the local community radio station.  My friend Adira had organized a smashing (owww - I might want to stay away from that word for a while) roster of dance exhibitions as breaks in the general mayhem.

Most amazing - amongst an amazing list - was a tango demo by Adira and MD, both accomplished dancers and totally mischievous improvisers.  It was elegant and somehow pleasingly dirty at the same time.

In an appropriate way, of course.

This was in the context of -
  • a classic belly dancer
  • a pair of "stage" belly dancers
  • a small army of jen-yoo-wine sambistas, with feathers
  • and a stripper
The stripper was really cool (I know you were wondering) - probably because she wound up - or down - wearing nothing but black panties slit up to here and pasties.  There wasn't a lot to keep her warm.

At least as far as I could tell - sadly I was sitting on the floor (probably where I would have wound up anyway once she got started) looking from the back.

She had a great smile.  Somehow that was the strongest impression she made which I think might have been the ultimate point - you just had to work your way through all her other charms to get there.

So I'm glad I went.  It was a good time and if "carnivale" (i.e. Mardi Gras) means "farewell to the flesh" then this was a very fond farewell.

Now that I'm reviewing this it seems worth the morning head - or afternoon head.  And I think I actually feel better.

So if penitence is meant to lead to learning and "amendment of life" - then it worked.

I wonder what will happen next?

No comments: