Monday, February 9, 2009

Mis Ojos son más Grandes que mi Corazón


Facebook Gallery is here.

Today was a brilliant day.

And the Sun was out too.

It's been a very busy one, a lot of editing work before leaving for the Orchard.

The Orchard was neat - taught a couple of lessons, had a great chat with the managers, helped some folks to learn more about their computers.

Getting home about 3:30 I was greeted by the smell of a smashing crockpot full of fresh chili.  

The sunset sky has been very lovely the last couple of nights.  The sun has been bright on both days and the full moon dominates the cloudless sky at night.

Twilight has been a magical time, the snow on the ground seems to amplify the rich blues and crimson of the air.  I took my camera out as I walked to my parking garage to get the car.  Doctor's Row, the Hotel and even the Park all seemed to come from another world, to glow with a different light from a different star.

I stood in the Park and watched a soccer game on the ice.  Cars still crowded the streets from rush hour.

Headed up to Munjoy Hill and the NorthStar to have a cup of tea and read the paper before going to the Reiche International Dinner - I was expected to make Fry Bread like last year ...

... but didn't quite make it.  A friendly but urgent phone call came from E., the bass player for Tango Mucha Labia, telling me she had lost the bass part to my tango "Mis Ohos son más Grandes que mi Corazón" - or, in English, "My Eyes are Bigger Than My Heart".

This meant a quick trip to the Orchard (of all places) so that I could download one from my MobileMe account and print it at the Genius Bar.  It took all of 90 seconds and we were heading back out into the night.  Kind of cool.  Since we were out there and we are the kind of people we are we headed to Borders.  She wound up with a political book by an author she's trying to get a gig with - I wound up with a great biography of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain.

And so back to the NorthStar, crammed into the guitarist's car (which E. had been driving) along with E's string bass, tucked lovingly under my arm by way of the back seat.

I wish I could have been less keyed up.  I've had lot's of premiers before, in many different contexts.  It's always a kind of harrowing rush - energizing, yes, but harrowing as well.  It meant that I flittered around the room, "listening" to the mix of the band (sort of a role I've taken on) or intently following the commentary on the President's new conference on my laptop.

I couldn't bring myself to dance with anyone either - it was taking too much of a risk with other people's toes.

The actual performance was quite good.  I was asked to dance by Laurita so I got a chance to actually see if my music gave people something to work with as dancers.  Glad to see that it did.

After having my head spun around the floor I managed to spend the rest of the evening dancing.  

So, it was a good evening.  Actually the whole day was fun, if not a lot of work.

It's nice to get the confirmation that what you are trying to do, what you are trying to say, both work.  Having people you like respond favorably to something you've created is also a plus.  I'll have to work harder to bring a deeper sense of myself to the writing.

Interesting thing to consider.

I need to get back to work ...

No comments: