Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day1-4:50 a.m.

Well, I've been here for an hour.  Now a little cold around the edges and so far, not a lot has happened.

My internet connection is an open net from someone's apartment across the way.  It flakes out but at least it's working now.

The day started at 3:00 - well, that's when I woke up - I was moving by 3:30 and out the door by 4:00 - then back in the door at 4:10 since I'd left my cell phone.

My little camp at the Expo door, shown, was actually very comfortable.  I think the temp dropped as time went by, I could feel it in my back .  The socks (double layered) on my left foot were slightly wet from washing the dishes before I left - and that made it just uncomfortable enough to be noticed.

So I guess you can say my real "watch" started at 4:20 or so.  The lights on that stretch of Park Ave. are all the peach-colored xenon lamps popular with energy-observant utilities.  It's easy to see why they are used - but also it makes you aware of the ubiquitous color that so many cities have at night.

The light is artificial - unnatural enough to make you uneasy.  I'm keeping an eye on the street.  A noise on the other side resolves into a woman dressed in a white bath robe, hair wrapped high in a towel.  She sits on the top step of the wooden stoop, lights a cigarettte.  I wonder why she bothered taking a shower if she's just going to smoke herself up before even getting dressed.

It's very quiet - only the occasional police car.  I'm thinking about how much is riding the result of today's events.  Hard to say.

Finally - 4:50 - a City person unlocks the Expo door - lights begin to go on inside.  He doesn't acknowledge me as he bustles past the door.  Either out of a disdainful sense of superiority, or a sense of threat, or, more likely, he's too damn busy getting things ready for the poll workers due at 6:00.


No comments: