Thursday, October 30, 2008

Children's Crusade


MobileMe Gallery is here.  Some pix slightly blurred out of courtesy.

As an ex-public school teacher with a very wide circle of very intelligent friends I've been of two minds about homeschooled kids - or, more specifically, their parents.

There are two types - those who opt out of the public school system for religious reasons.  I'm too liberal not to be biased (go figure - I'm full of contradictions).

And those who opt out for pedagogical reasons.

Now that I'm free of the political considerations imposed by a tax-supported paycheck - and professional courtesy - I can admit that I'm completely sympatico with parents whose kids were simply not served by the strictures the warehousing concepts some schools demand of students and teachers.

Not everyone learns the same way - or in the same order.  Not everything a school district thinks is important is shared by the people inside it.

I hadn't really thought of this until walking back from my JavaNet Window - and stumbled on a group of about 25 home-schooled kids holding an impromptu rally for Barack Obama in the town square, usually a space reserved for the Farmer's Market and fresh produce.

Apparently there was one young lady forbidden from phoning the Obama campaign - so they compromised by letting her organize a rally in Monument Square.

Compromise is at the heart of the American Experience.  Ben Franklin said that "New nations come into the world like "illegitimate" (not his term) children - one part compromise, one part improvise".

It is a wise group of parents that let their kids experience the full measure of our public life letting them freeze their toes off in the central square of the town getting honked at by strangers.

I phoned the local paper and a T.V. station but I don't think any coverage resulted.  Their loss.

I'm sitting in Mousse, having a coffee and thinking about how I wish I could still teach music if teaching could be like what those children were experiencing.  I suppose that my work with the Multi-Age groups really was it - and, pointedly, most of us are now out of the business of working in big time public education.

Big time public education's loss, I think.

Great job, kids.

I think I'll vote for "that one" for president too.

3 comments:

Amy Bradstreet said...

Greetings, I am one of those wacky unschooling parents that you spoke with briefly (my son was wearing "that one for president" and my daughter was the one with the "my momma voted early for Obama" sign). Thank you so much for taking the time to even be interested and engaged in what these young citizens were doing. Too often children (and their voices, let alone political voices) are overlooked or outright ignored in this country. For our family, we felt there was no better way for our children to grow up engaged and invested in their world than to be an active part of it, rather than being institutionalized for twelve or so years. Thanks again, nice to meet you!

Amy Bradstreet said...

PS, meant to mention that I aslo posted about the kids for Obama rally on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Yes, another thank you for your thoughtful post from one of those Obama-mamas. I think we were all surprised at how enthusiastically these kids went about their own little rally, despite the cold toes you mentioned. It was just awesome to watch! As an aside, what sort of music do/did you teach?