Wednesday, November 5, 2008

There was a riot ... then a rally broke out


First it started off with one person - besides myself - in the square.

After sticking around at the Empire to listen to President-elect (I agree with Crooks and Liars - it's so good to finally get to type that) Obama's acceptance speech - an event Keith Obermann likened to a "moon landing moment" - I did a one-person hegira to the Soldiers and Sailor's Memorial - otherwise known as "our lady of victories" - just to be present, to feel the memories of all those people who have gathered there for the momentous occasions in the life of the city.

I had mentioned to Ms. KT so many hours before - words uttered in an old world and a dark reality - that I had hoped it would end at the Monument.  I knew my day would - it would be good to see other folks looking for the same sense of community.

Then my reverie was broken by the sight of two people on the monument.

Behind me, back up Congress toward the Empire I could hear whoops and shouts - "OOOObama!"  and pure yells of animal joy.

And they were moving my way.

Then I noticed that people - one at a time and in pairs - were making their way up from the Old Port and Munjoy Hill.  They could have been people out to enjoy the temperate evening  - it was surprisingly warm - or on their way home from watch parties in the local hotels and bars.

For whatever reason more folks were arriving by bike and foot.  Cars would fly by, arms and torso, voices screaming with joy, shouts of "Obama" and "Yes We Can!" echoing off the buildings.

Then a spontaneous dance broke out.  Two folks started hand drumming on the top of the power box - one guy started kicking its side to add a really tight bass beat.

That started to worry me as I knew - from performing there over the years - that there was enough juice in there to give someone a nasty, nasty shock.

I did give a word to the wise - and they were wise enough to back down.

Still, a city truck came by, with a city electrician to give a warning.

It was an interesting chat.  I didn't want to appear to take responsibility for the crowd but I didn't want them being shut down.  Happily the electrician just re-interated what my concern was and the kids backed right off for the rest of the evening.

Then he said something very interesting. 

"You know, this election has been for the kids anyway.  I'm glad they're having fun, they earned it.  The thing I'm proud of is that everyone got off their asses and voted to make it happen.  Let 'em make noise.  Just don't let 'em kick that box".

...And he was off.

Then a young man in a suit - whom I'd seen doing Important Things at the Pingree party earlier - spoke to the crowd - and there it was:  the Call.

Mostly the question was "what are you going to do?"  Something I was sort of waiting to hear from the universe in general since the election had been called.

There are huge problems that are going to have to be dealt with.  I'm glad people have a chance to get their freak on over this result - it's an astounding moment of excitement and empowerment for the entire nation - but we've really only bought a ticket on what promises to be a long, hard bus ride.

After that the dancing began.  I stayed and shot video - watched my new acquaintance KT dance.  

Then the Jamaican drummers showed up.  A conga.  A fleet of guys carrying saucepans and noise makers.  Glowtubes and if we'd had some techno I'd call it an Obama Rave.

So here we are.  One day of change, more than most people can see and integrate in their entire lifetimes.

A defining moment for America.  Give me a day or two to sort it all out - as life and work and finances and fiends all need to be sorted out, reality has only paused ...

... and then headed off in a totally new direction.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so great to see! I'm away til Thanksgiving and was involved in my college's own delirious spasms of mass joy, so thanks for posting this! I really wanted to see Portland celebrate.

Colleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.