Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day 3 - 5:30 a.m.


And now I'm not alone.

A very nice lady named KT - well, for all I know she might be a hellacious punker but she seems nice right now - has walked up.

It's slightly past 5:30 and the sky is beginning to lighten.

In "The Secret Garden" Frances Hodgden Burnett advised people to watch a sunrise - but to start waiting for it in the darkest hour of the night - when there is no light at all - and then feel the sun come up starting with the faintest glimmer of light.  Only then does sunrise have its proper power and context.

KT works for an ecologically advanced cleaning service and is coming by to vote before going to work at 8.  She's armed with coffee but wound up sitting on the concrete - I loaned her my blanket and we both watched Countdown on my laptop - might as well give up on actually blogging.  Wound up taking notes.

My actor friend - and Democratic activist - Harlan Baker dropped by on his way to help out.  We chatted and it looks like I might be on the front page of the West End News.  It was fun to chat.

As the clock revolved past 6 a.m. more people began to show up.  Abram, my neighbor on the street and the archivist for the Children's Theatre, called out to me.  Great to see him.

And then, they moved us inside.


No comments: