Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Late Autumn


Betwixt.

Between.

Neither fish nor fowl or good red herring.

The contents of my $5 bag of bargain veggies has changed - there are fewer greens - actually, none - and more yellows, reds and browns.

Things that will keep.

I made the acquaintance of a root called "celeriac"  - which to me sounds like some kind of monastic order - that can be cut, sliced, roasted, basted, flayed - again, like certain monastic orders I've heard about (and this means you,  Trappists....).

Thinking more about hearty soups (with celeriac) and chili.

Things that will keep.

The trees are pretty much bare now - wind blown leaves line the sidewalks.  Strange jewels on the street, swept up, bagged, crinkly treasure troves.

The election serves as a convenient marker.  We're all in a new place now and like fascinated children we open our eyes and see what it's like.

Today there are many cold toes attached to people selling things in the Farmer's Market.  Talk turns, inevitably, to the oncoming Winter.  Some of the vendors will still be out there through all but the most demanding weather.

There is a lot of material I haven't put online yet - it will come in the next day or so - but right now,before marking all that has gone before I have to acknowledge where I am.  I was and now I am, looking forward to where I will be next - and what that will look like.

Things that will keep.

No comments: