Thursday, May 6, 2010

Two Kinds Of Light


I have to write about two kinds of light.

Two kinds of day. Two places to be.

The birthday tango is finally done. The parts are edited and links sent to the players. I like the piece and maybe it's a reflection of my own striking inadequacies as a dancer but I like it.

It's been said, by people whose opinions I've been entirely foolish to respect, that all my taste is in my mouth. It's a fair cop.

Still, if I have spend my life in a prison cell decorated entirely with wallpaper of my own device then at least it's a pattern I can live with.

Yesterday and today have been dramatic - both in themselves and between each other.

The Farmer's Market, walking along the bay, looking in the Old Port shops for a new shoulder bag - all were a study in the clarity and warmth of Spring in New England.

I spent the late afternoon at my friend EH's house. A couple years ago I helped Precocious Daughter #2 record a Father's Day greeting on my laptop, arranging it in GarageBand.

So answering a complex and puzzling phone message from this 8-year-old wonder led me over with my recording equipment. We set up in the front yard, top of the steps, where she recorded a new message for Mother's Day.

The brightness of the day - and the company - made it a very special time.

Also, that evening I got to see my friend Torrey's movie, "Fumble". More on that later but for now, it was really good.

Which leads us to today's strange day. Rain-splashed, I got in my car to head to work, for a day that was both basic and very full of interest and humor.


So getting out of work to the accompaniment of a bright burst of sunlight, much like yesterday's, was a joy.

Met a friend for sushi. In the hour it took to get to The King Of the Roll the sky cloaked itself in grey, trimmed in black; wind erupted to hurl leaves down the gutters.

The older gambrels across the street from my new digs were etched against the sky, lights in the windows glowing feeble and lonely.

I liked it.

I liked both of these days, they spoke to both sides of who I am.

Perfectly satisfied, fed and enthralled with either light and warmth or shadow and coolness - I am most engaged by the transition from one to the other.

So, for now I will stop and wait to see what I'm given to work with next.


-- Post From My iPad

No comments: