Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Best Bits of Fredrick Law Olmstead


Busy day.

Early to work, home to add cheese to the "chicken whatever" in the crockpot, off to roller derby (and THAT'S a whole post right there ...), visiting the W's and getting tossed a piece of homemade lasagna, then home to continue working on E's Pecha Kucha project ... finally came to some kind of "resolution" (which is very different from being "finished") ....

...and I guess I should not complain. I can remember times that were much less demanding and much more upsetting.

So here I am at Enzo on a Saturday night, which I swore I would avoid ... the best distraction can also serve as the best inspiration.

We are definitely in the arms of a charming stretch of Spring weather. The walk up from the Expo took through Deering Oaks - or Deering's Oaks, to use the traditional posessive, which no one does, except me, of course.

The light in the park, just after twilight, with rich clouds piled in the sky and people walking dogs - and each other - made for an easy change from the excitement and energy of the Roller Derby to the introspection of the evening.

At some point I'm going to start a new piece but I'm not sure what it's going to be like. It's time I began to move out of the strictures that writing for TML imposes ... and how that's going to work is somewhat beyond me.

I have always loved the light through early leaves. There is something magical and reachable about it, like a song I can just sense but not quite hear. Walking through the park, even one with a major street running through it, connects me with the parks and neighborhoods of my childhood, my late-night ramblings to the Rose Garden and its quiet, ethereal beauty.

The Hidden Garden.

Again, it's the space that exists in the transitions, going from place to place, time to time or season to season. An energy that grows from growth.

... or that comes from a glass and a half of wine.

So there. Perhaps Fredrick Law Olmstead had that in mind when he designed the park.

Whatever it is, it seems to work.

-- Post From My iPad

No comments: