Sunday, June 29, 2008

Still No Ouzo and a Doozy of a Duo













It's not like I'm not having an interesting life right now...

I've made it to the third level in the quest for my new dream job.  If it goes well one week from tomorrow, Monday - then we'll know and a whole new adventure will start.

MEANWHILE, (comma), the Greek Festival happened this weekend at Holy Trinity Hellenic Church behind the Cathedral.  I set myself the task of having another glass of real Metaxa ouzo just like last year (just like I can get at Geno's for about two dollars a glass less...)

I managed to stop by to have some of Mr. Panos' Genuine Greek Coffee (shown) - which is very, very thick, very, very strong and very, very sweet - the grounds left in the cup looked less like coffee than a construction site in the bottom.

I also bought a box of pastries for C. - very, very tasty stuff - 30% flour and 70% sugar - God, I love Greek culture.

So this led me to JavaNet, where, honest to God, I tried to update this blog.  I was just getting out my laptop when the unmistakeable sound of a tuning violin exploded in my ear.... then a cello.

That's right, of all the coffee joints in all the seaports in the world, the Barefoot Strings had to sit next to me.

They were quite good, playing out of a book of basic classical duets - Haydn's "Surprise Symphony", Bach's "Minuet in G", that kind of thing - good basic cocktail background repertoire, the backbone of any group wanting to play gigs and develop a sound.

Not that their sound needed developing - they did quite well.  I did have a chance to copy a quick version of "Personally I Blame Marcel Proust" as a string duet (the original tango orchestra file is here) and they very kindly read it - doing a very nice job.

I did record them on my laptop and set a page up for them on Birdclan - if they approve I'll link to it.

We exchanged cards and maybe I'll write for them - one more little proof that things are going in a new direction that I've always needed them to go in.

Then, back to the Greek Festival for dancing - and a "sold out" Ouzo sign.  Probably for the best.