Saturday, July 3, 2010

Taking the Starlight Ferry

MobileMe gallery is here,

You can either have special, "perfect" nights once in a blue moon - some people, only once in a lifetime - or you can live your life so that almost every evening can be perfect, at least in some way.

I suppose it can be safely stated that having practically every night be some kind of perfect can devalue the experiences that make them perfect ... I disagree.

One can have a greater perspective that allows a clear distinction of the relative value of how precious certain things can be.

Some people, indeed, most of the folks I know, either through the Orchard or tango, seem to see things that way - like most everyone. This is one of the things that make me love my job and tango so very much.

Joy and wonder never seem to be taken for granted. I'm very lucky to have such friends and acquaintances.

Which means, I think, that we all seem to have reservoirs of darksness within us, a counterweight of sadness that bouys up the reality of joy. There is nothing maudlin or depressive about this, it's just the way the universe works.

I'm writing this at the Wine Bar, having just got back from a quiet, lovely ferry trip out to Peaks Island. Fairly quiet on the way out we were joined for the return trip by what I think was a wedding party, boisterous, over- dressed and talkative.

I see the contrast between quiet and robust voices, darkness between the lights of the docks, the diesel smell of the boat engines and the rich velvet of the star- specked sky.

The night was perfect. If you play your cards right then every night can be something like this. I prefer to see things more this way than being "realistic" - if we really can choose our reality then I choose this one.
-- Post From My iPad

No comments: