Friday, July 30, 2010

Just What the Doctor Ordered


Sitting in the sidewalk part of Boda, just down from my apartment, just across from the statue of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, in the Square that bears his name.

An Italian cream soda ... Thai roasted peanuts ... all to the dulcet accompaniment of drunken lunatics in the park across the street at the very feet of Henry's statue.

I'm playing hooky from working on orchestrating the new tango. The piece makes a huge amount of sense, it has a drama and logic throughout that I've been looking for for a long time.

I'm very proud of it - though I suppose I should not be surprised that it's taking so much energy to accomplish.

Another cause for celebration is my arrival as a "triageur" (my word, I've no idea if it really exists in French) for small .mp3 music players at the Orchard. People book appointments and I'm starting to work with them to diagnose, replace or repair them. The music players, that is.

I thought I would hate it - turns out I very much underestimated the experience, and my capacity to understand and accomplish it. It's really a lot of fun.

Of course, right now we're talking about music players - later on this is going to graduate to people's phones, the high-tech flagships of the Orchard - and their contacts, calendars and other personal info. I've seen first-hand how people's carelessness and sheer bone-headed technological stupidity can cause so much trouble.

My God, this cream soda is scrummy!!

The peanuts rock too.

Today's biggest job was helping a person set up (one of several) business email accounts on an iPad - the bane of our explanatory careers, since private services are notoriously finicky - it took an hour, I had to try it on a house computer and, ultimately, my own iPad (with a manager's permission) ...

.... and damn me if I didn't get it to work!

I know it's a small thing, but so many of the things I try to do - lose weight, dance more effectively, write more passionately, live more constructively - all take so long to bear fruit.

It means a lot to bash at something full bore for an hour or more, at the drop of a hat, almost, and have it come out right.

So now I'll go home and sleep the sleep of the just.

Just grateful to be alive.


-- Post From My iPad

Location:Congress St,Portland,United States

No comments: