Sunday, July 18, 2010

Just off the boat


Another Saturday night on the water after another Saturday afternoon in the Orchard ...

... oh, and with a short nap and break in between.

I have several pices in my head, all crowding up for attention, crying "Pick me! Pick me!". The original plan for waking up from the nap was to start blocking out new music - well, actuall I would have been grateful just to get some rough thoughts down.

Strangely I couldn't hear any one thought clearly because they were all so be-damned noisy. I knew I could work them out in time - I was ennervated ( I love that word) from the heat.

(For rxample, it was 80° when I walked to the ferry terminal at 9:10 - it's 78ยบ now, two hours later).

The night was clear on the water. The "moonlight cruise" goes from Portland to Long Island and thence to both sides of Great Diamond. The stars gave themselves up, slowly, teasingly, as my eyes grew used to the dark.

At Diamond Cove the last dinner/wedding party crowds - and I do mean crowds - took over the front of the boat, bringing their own bottles of wine and their own air of obnoxious alcoholic good cheer.

The vinous bonhomie forced me to the very stern of the bridge to watch the wake boil up from underfoot.

During this I was joined (at a discreet distance) by a woman armed with a practical backpack and a hoodie. After a few minutes of silent regard we struck up a coversation.

Turns out she used to be a middle school music teacher too. She'd left because she couldn't be the kind of music teacher - hell, musician - that she really was while working in public schools. Too many requests for Christmas concerts that were really sing-alongs.

We compared notes and authenticated each other's view of reality. It was nice.

How very strange to leave in one cloud of confusion and return with a sense of certainty about what one is really about.

Not so much a voyage of discovery as a voyage of confirmation.

How avante garde!


-- Post From My iPad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can not wait to move to Portland to do similar adventures......