Thursday, June 17, 2010

no aumente el puente - baje el río


...and there we are, done with another birthday piece. I'm not quite ready to release it, it's not done yet.

The piano sketch seems to go over really well with people whose ears I trust - I just wonder if I have the skill to make it work when scored for our little orchestra.

Each member brings a rich, unique personality to the group, musically and personally. The group itself has a delightful sound. I'm just not sure that they are the right color for the piece.

This is rather a strange place in which to find myself - and I am looking for myself in the middle of all this.

You see, over the last couple of years I made it a point to put a sort of filter on my musical imagination, to try to hear sounds in my head as expressed by our little group. Suddenly, for whatever reason, that does not seem to be the case and it's very surprising.

So NOW what do I do?

Do I leave it in pure digital form, maybe bring out the richness of the lines, give up trying to make it sound like real instruments and just let it fly?

Do I try to solve the inner voice issues and voicing challenges and prep it for our little group?

Or do I take both roads and create two versions? I'd like to present the thing, share it with our community - or at least those who care enough to listen - correction, who care enough about ME to listen?

No, not really - if I did this to really impress people I'd have given it up years ago. Far easier to make up a fake Nobel prize for Literature - and more effective.

Looks like two versions.

Damn.


-- Post From My iPad

No comments: