Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dog on the Dock


Sometimes it's a very strange feeling, riding my undersized bike through the streets of the town.

Portland is basking in magnificent late-Summer days.  I am locked up with indoor training and having two days off has been great.  It's enjoyable because I seem to have lost the instinctive rhythm of time that is dictated by weekends and the start of school days.

Finally, on the very last day that I can call "Summer vacation" I got a bike ready and online.  It's a little undersized but I refuse to buy a new one, having had two stolen from the foyer of my apartment.

I can walk it, of course - this town is such that you can walk pretty much anywhere you want - but the breezy time saved is precious and I love the sense of movement that a bike affords.

So there I was by East End Beach, lying on the grass under a small tree, making up shapes for clouds that weren't up in the sky.  I had a wonderful, refreshing nap, then took time to practice diablo (Chinese Yo-yo) for a while.

It's starting to get easier.  I've spent too much time writing music and something had to go.  Diablo will be fun.

School calendar has been a structure controlling my life for over 45 years.  That also includes DCI FInals and the start of Marching band season.

So here is the start of a new adventure - the time of transition is ending and something new, something fresh, exciting - a little scary, perhaps - but something new that is going to be fantastic.