Saturday, August 2, 2008

Bailar Folklorico


Facebook album is here

The rain has finally caught up with us.  It's falling slowly, I can hear the way the cars driving by change sound, a rising and falling rushing.

A seagull over on Congress Street.  Voices, some not so sober.

The afternoon was cloudy, but it didn't deter me from heading over to Fitzpatrick stadium for the finals of the Latino Soccer Championship.  More on that in a moment.

One of the neat things attached was the Grupo de danzas folkloricas "El Hornero" website herewho danced between the consolation and final matches.

I'd seen them coming out of the costume changing rooms and it was fairly obvious they were going to perform.

All the while doing so the commentary about the area "por los ninos" where kids could paint and destroy genuine pinatas blared over the music of the dancers.

It provided a welcome splash of color, style and grace an otherwise gray day.  The choreography was very good, it used the space well and carried interest at a distance.  I suspect they do a lot of gigs like this one, with the audience set a good ways back from the "stage".

They came up from West Orange New Jersey - I hadn't considered that they might be from "away", it should have been obvious - one, if such a group existed here  in Maine I'm sure I'd know about it - two, the Latino community here is not quite up to fielding such a group, at least - not yet.

I think that may change if enough folks were paying attention.