Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Strange days, stranger comforts



There is a Chinese saying, in Mandarin, I think, that says "May you live in the most interesting of times".

Being an inflected language you can shape the words to imply either a friendly wish or a malediction.

I'm going with "friendly wish".

As of today I am three days into intensive training for my new job. Professional discretion will lead me to refer to it obliquely, also out of courtesy to the incredible set of new friends I've discovered.  You can tell from my earlier posts, but as of now I have responsibilities and intend to honor them.

We're working in a meeting room at the Embassy Suites near the Jetport - the name "jetport" probably evoked far away places with strange sounding names back when first built - now it just seems tacky and Chamber-of-Commeracy - if that's a word.

Still, all told it's a nice place and since I grew up near airports it's working out fine.

The work is challenging, a lot to learn in order to deliver the level of service expected.  My colleagues in all capacities are smart, engaging and very present.  You can tell there was a concerted effort to build a team both competent and diverse.

A case in point is the fire incident from yesterday.

A strange beeping (and with all the technology present in the room pretty much all beeps are rather strange) broke out.  This had an urgency and tone that demanded attention and our managers popped out the doors, holding them open so we could hear.

At which time a Magic Voice announced a fire alarm.  Instructions were given, asking us to wait for an announcement of the involved floor, which, once named, could be evacuated.

That kind of stopped the lesson.  We were still reaching for our water glasses and candy bars when the manager of the hotel stepped in, informing us that we had to leave.

Leave now.

"The first floor is asked to leave quietly by the nearest available exit," the magic voice intoned  If there had been a nearby unavailable exit I think we would have been screwed.  Oh well.

My friend in the PFD told me years ago (he has retired and lives just "next door" to the hotel) that there are over 6 fire engines at the Jetport, but also that all of those machines were reserved for the Jetport.

This didn't bode well at all.

So it took a little longer than one might be comfortable with to hear the sound of fire trucks wailing their way nearer to the hotel.  We all spilled out into the trees as PFD made their appearance.

I admit to being grateful for the interruption - this is a lot of work and the stakes we play for are high.  

Still, it was kind of fun.  There was some spontaneous entertaining, a song or two - then someone suggested getting a "class picture" of the crew and a hotel staffer was pressed into service.

Besides using one of the ubiquitous cell phones I pulled my digital camera out of my eternal backpack and let it be used to snap some pix.  Sadly I can't post it as it identifies folks - the other shots don't really show faces (and I've blurred them just a touch in Photoshop to help).

I did notice that the ladder had a tennis 
ball attached to it.  The driver informed me it was used in sighting the ladder during use.  

The people I'm working with are a wonderful crowd.  Everyone is very, very smart - we have to be.

Everyone is very, very friendly - again, we have to be. It looks like doing this job is going to need pinpoint co-operation and communication and we're just the types.

This was brought home after we left for the day.  I announced and then headed off to the NorthStar for tango - TML wasn't playing but Prof.B was the DJ and she's got quite a collection.

I was dancing with a lady when someone called my name from the door.  It was one of teams from work - over eighty percent of them.  

Sadly I ran my partner's toes over - not good form.

But I will say that it was the first time in my professional career that some folks from work showed up to one one my suggested events.  Before now it just never occurred to me that people would be willing to share.  It was quite a compliment.

I took a tremendous risk during a tremendously vulnerable time in order to get this job and clear out space in my soul to write music and have a richer life.  Against all odds I am cautiously optimistic about how this is all turning out.

My German friend, E., says that this is just the beginning - that the final iteration of this has not happened yet.  I'm willing to grant him this - I also intend to enjoy these moments and live them fully, with grace and presence.

We shall see.