Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bee-yoo-tiful Soooouup ....!


Waiting for some restorative Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup.

Socks are soaked, jeans passable but will trade shortly for a fluffy bathrobe.

An amazing evening - temps in the 40's but gusts up to 65 mph ....

Got in several minutes ago from a rehearsal for "Inuk and the Sun" - teaching music, creating new parts of the score after chatting with actors who have been revolved to new roles.

Took the long way back from Gorham, the home of the University of Southern Maine, coming through the back end of Westbrook, along the edge of the Presumpscott River. I didn't actually cross the bridge but I rolled my window down for one face-blasting moment ... and could hear it roaring from two blocks away.

The soup is perking away nicely and I'll let it simmer down just for a few moments more.

The day has been busy, work strangely busy at first and then quite quiet (for us, anyway) for most of the day, picking up as I finished up to leave for Gorham. Had to go have copies made at Staples.

The Inuk score is taking shape now - starting to think about how we're going to support the singers. It won't be a "piano and five" type of show - I think we're going to be banging on the set and pounding drums and shaking chickens to create the sound world we want. There is a kind of no-holds-barred attitude I find quite fun.

As I came down into Portland I was stunned to see a bright purple flash light up half the sky. It was in the forested Woodfords area and I drove past blocks of houses that were quite dark. I'd bet that a transformer blew because of the wind.

There were large, large branches down in Deering Oaks. I had to forgo my usual scenic shortcut and back out of the park. Wound up parking directly in front of my old digs on Deering Street. The wind felt like 65 MPH.

So now the soup is ready and I want to sit and listen to the roar of the wind between the buildings. It's fascinating to hear, dramatic to watch.

Almost the hour of the wolf. Don't know if I could handle a wet wolf at my door.

But if it's really cold, it would be welcome anyway.

No comments: