Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Basement Laundry Studios


It has been quite a busy day.

I'm writing this while waiting for "Countdown" to download and prep.

It's a rainy night out, cold, windy, not very pleasant. People are hurrying along on Congress Street below.

Tango practica was a little sparse but still a good place to work on technique. My partners have given me feedback on the work I did with my tango teacher, JR. It seems to have taken and I think, once I've got in better integrated, it will make me an even more expressive dancer.

The time between work and tango was spent doing laundry and trying to record vocal tracks for "Inuk and the Sun". Since the laundry is in the basement - and the basement has such thick walls I packed my laptop, a mike stand, pro condenser mike and headphones downstairs to try to record the "Seals" first song so the singers could have a reference recording.

This building was build as a hotel - an hotel? - around the turn of the last century and the foundation walls are very thick. No vibration from the street.

So I set up outside the laundry. Plugged the power block into the fire alarm and propped myself up against the wall, put on my phones, got up, put the towels in the dryer and then started recording music.

It's actually turned out quite well. The major sound glitch was the fact that the elevator would go off and the Elevator Control Room was just over there. So there was a click - more like a thud - of relays and the elevator would roar from floor to floor.

There was no way to avoid sound contamination. So I suppose the whir of the elevator motors will serve to suggest the surrusus of the waves ( did I spell that right?). At least I got the damned thing done - still have a bunch of songs to conceptualize - then the final arrangements have to be created as the stage action is developed.

It's a fun process. I just didn't think it would play out while the towels were drying and people were trying to make their way by me - gingerly, but gamely.

OK - I admit I kind of like it.

Sue me.


No comments: