Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Pond FIlled With Odd Ducks


It's been very rainy for the last week or so. Summer in Maine can be very, very lovely and the lack of it is starting to tell on people around here, people who otherwise can handle the worst kind of Winter oppression.

However, the ducks in Deering Oaks pond are happy.

We've been screamingly - literally, in a couple of cases - busy at the Orchard. The new iPhone 3G(s) - which sounds rather like a tax code section now that I think of it - launched last Friday and starting about week ago the state of Maine began to become actively cognizant of the existence of the store.

This meant that we had progressively larger crowds as Friday's launch approached - and I heard the phrase "I didn't know you were here, I just walked by and saw the store" became less and less apparent.

Friday was doable because of the addition of two very affable security guards that let us keep the crowd down to a level we could handle. Basically if you weren't getting a phone or a CPU you didn't get in, but if you did you got someone assigned personally to you.

The guards went away on Saturday and since then it's been a freefall test of our professionalism.

I admit it - it's been fun. Exhausting, but fun.

It's also been a confirmation of the rightness leaving public school teaching. Despite the frustration of making foolish mistakes in activating phones I'm struck over and over again with just how sad - really, existentially sad - the experience of teaching in school made me.

A year has gone by - I look back at my posts - very early in my blogging output - and it went from this to this - and the latter is very close to who I am.

I know that I don't fit in in many ways - socially, financially, emotionally - and I'm continually surprised (if one can be that way) by the friends I have who have the same experience of life. We all fit together by the fact we don't fit together.

I live in a pond full of very odd ducks.

I like it.

No I love it.


2 comments:

sfminou said...

The two most damning names for people I can think of are "mundane" and "normal."
I'm glad to claim you as a friend, ducky!

Kaleigh said...

Nothing interesting ever happens to sheep. Here's to flight!