Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Raspberry, Almond Frosted Scone


Give me a minute ....

OK.  

I have two days off.  I didn't think it possible but apparently my current approach to life doesn't work on the five-on, two-off schedule that other people use. 

The experience of using days off to truly relax and enjoy the world around me - even while making much less money to use while around about in it - is very new and quite appealing.

I'm willing to splurge on a Raspberry Almond Frosted scone (if I eat nothing else store-bought today) to have the chance to sit outdoors at Mousse in Monument Square and enjoy the crowd here again at the Farmer's Market.

So the Orchard is now open.  I don't think I've had as much fun in years.  The crowd numbered around 450-500, stretching halfway down the hall, back around again.  

We all came boiling out of the Back Of House, clapping and yelling like banshees.  The glass doors opened slowly and we walked out, yelling and high-fiving (I don't high-five very much but it was good for the moment).  It took a second but the crowd started in as well, starting to cheer and clap in time with us.

I followed one of my more theatrical colleagues around the line, running down and cheering, followed by what seemed like the whole store. C. was in the line and I got a big hug from her.

Then we gathered back at the doors - mind you, no one had set foot in the joint as of that moment.  Forming a cheering, shouting gauntlet we finally let people in and the store was open.

I can now see why it takes a certain mindset to understand and integrate this experience.  You have to have a solid, active belief in people, in what they can do.  All we're doing is selling (alright, we're selling stuff) them extraordinary tools to use.  And then showing them how to use them.

The Really Funny Corollary is this - not only do I have this belief in others but I also have it in myself.  Suddenly I can't get enough of looking at the world around me, exploring and experiencing the simplest things.

I have a lot of work to do to stabilize the mistakes that being so closed-off has caused.  Still, I like this.  I like it a lot.

There is a little thought in the back of my head that the Really Funny Corollary (RFC) is going to play a big part in the events, thoughts and feelings of the next little while.

No comments: