Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hiatus - day three


Having lunch at 2 Cats - very nice eggs and bacon, lot's of toast - more than I should have, probably.

It's turned grey and cloudy out - yesterday was partly cloudy - partly clear? and very bright.

Sat in a chair by the water and gave my best imitation of the mushroom in this picture.

Reading Dan Brown's latest, "The Missing Symbol" - actually read it in two sittings - yesterday and this morning.

Sleep was fitful until I got used to the soughing of the wind through trees directly overhead - combined with the sound of waves I couldn't help but hear rain everywhere - hard to sleep with the implied discomfort.

I'm sure others of my acquaintance - Matthew comes to mind - would be more carefully kitted and prepared. I borrowed a tent from the W's and headed north, buying the simplest of food and a ton of wood. Last time C and I were here - I'm at the same campground - it seemed impossible to get a fire going and then we ran out of wood. This time I want a roaring fire as long as I can.

There is something mystical and entrancing about sitting with a burning fire and the ocean waves breaking about 10 feet from your chair. A lot of very useful thoughts going through my head.

I'd share some but the lunch serving is done here at the "2 Cats" and my chair is being meaningfully swept under. I'll be on the road early - early - tomorrow - so I'd better get back to my "camp" and study.

No comments: