Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Flying Chickens in Food Sauce


As I've said so many times before "you see the strangest things on the streets of Portland".

...and I'm sure you'd see strange things both on the streets of New York and Kankakee for that matter. It's just that these are the strangenesses I'm looking at right now.

Still, it's kind of nice to know I live in a town where I can get food sauce if I need to. A lot of people go through life with just the regular sauce. Being able to put sauce made of out food - even specially processed food - makes a big difference.

On the (pause for modest cough) serious side of things - or at least things that are less semantically tortured - the Orchard is going to be shutting down for 4 days next weeks while we are remodeled. I can guess that this is a fairly unusual occurrence - at least it seemed to catch all of us on the hop.

This means that besides the two days off I was having this week already I've got the possibility of 4 days off next week. This might be a financial hit, but I will say that it might give me a chance to head out of town, if I can borrow a tent.

It might be nice to study for my qualifying quizzes sitting by the side of an estuary next to Bar Harbor - at the very least it will get me away from town.

If I can get someone to look after Sebastian then maybe it will happen. Stranger things have...

Speaking of which I've already been out to the Orchard, only to find out my hours have changed. This let me hare back into town to have blood drawn and thence to hit the Farmer's Market.

There was a juggler on the sward that was really good to watch. He had a nice patter and anyone who works with rubber chickens is OK in my book.
The fun part was watching a nursery school crew of kids being entertained. It's always a great thing to contemplate - or better still, actually watch - little kids experience something, anything, but especially the performing arts, for the first time.

The kids had to be shown how to applaud - when and how. It was really cute and the juggler worked the crowd very effectively. He told jokes, running a patter that caught the kids' imagination.

I very much remember the feeling of connecting with a performance. I could easily show you the place on Boston Avenue where I sat watching the Will Rogers High School Marching Band during the Tulsa Christmas Parade and heard the big bass drum go by. They were playing the "Manhattan Beach" march, by Sousa. I can still remember the sound of the bass line in the Trio's second part.

A very famous line.

A little later I'm going to help a friend out - again - and go in to cover a couple of lessons. This should be fun. Then two more actually scheduled days off.

So now I'm going to go out and poke around ... probably wind up in some kind of trouble. It's a lovely, almost too-warm, day and I intend to make the most of it.

No comments: