Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wheels Within Wheels with Cat


And here we have My Lord Sebastian surveying his kingdom.

Anyone else would probably have incredibly cute pics - or even video - of him playing with the ring/ball toy - maybe even write a song.

Sadly I was too involved with eating breakfast - and getting the camera out took too long.

Oh well.

And here we have Jim, living his life.

C. and I went over to Manchester NH to watch the arena version of Cirque du Soliel's "Alegria". The chapiteau that used to house it is now being used for the new show, "Ovo" - at some point I'll h have to go see that one, but "Alegria" serves in the meantime.

The acts themselves were wonderful - I always love aerial acts, both strap acts and trapeze. When I was a boy my Dad took me to the American Airlines Christmas party, where the Engineering Center would hire a damn circus and take over the Fairgrounds Pavilion to host it.

It was at one of those where I saw a young single-bar trapeze artist blow a turnaround an fall 30 feet to the chairs below - it had been rigged right up against the seats (with the ones directly below being cleared out).

Needless to say I didn't go to a circus again until I was in my 30's. Now I have recovered my love of them and hope someday to audition to the Cirque as a counter-tenor (which is the only way I can possibly think of a somewhat physically thick 50-year-old man could have a shot a joining).

The show - separate from the acts - made more sense after we had looked up the wiki on my iPhone and got a handle on what the characters meant. Even the set had a relationship to the meaning of the show. My only problem was with my inability to figure it out just by looking.

Oh well.

Yesterday was another hoop event. I biked over to the Farmer's Market - the strawberries, of course, were all gone by the time I got my act together - but there was Adira and a couple of friends just hooping.

Well, I did get some good new potatoes so with business done I got a chance to practice.

It's all starting to make more sense and I have to take my calendar and try something new - namely to plan out every minute of the next week.

By which I mean providing my days with enough structure - outside of work, like the imminent Apple Camp - to write, practice tango, hooping, write, bike, maybe do some Pilates.

Oh, and write.

Today, Eckardt and I - and, apparently, some of his German visitors - are going up to Lisbon Falls to check out the Pow Wow there. I've not been to one in over a year.

It's been quite a year and I'm not really sure the man who enters the ring to dance will be the same one who did so last year.

The synchronicity - the ring of Sebastian's toy, the hula hoop, the Cirque (even the word "cirque") is very moving. I'm supported by it, affirmed by it, I see my beginning and present and future in one moment.

I've said before that Cherokees have a fifth verb tense, an eternal tense. This is how I experience my Mother now - no one, nothing is ever truly lost.

Go beyond that - everything is always old and new, raw and comfortable, sad and joyous, fresh and nostalgic.

Everything is a circle.

No comments: