Friday, December 19, 2008

I Have Friends Out In This


Tonight it's no joke.

People are going to be lost tonight if people are not careful to look out for them.

It's 9º out there.  Nine.

A howling wind is blowing from the ocean and it cuts like a scalpel.  I took this picture from my front stoop.  The cold drove me back inside the door - standing, switching camera functions, taking a shot, checking the levels and moving to the next setting - doing this took up too much time.  

Try as I might I had to close the door and shiver for a moment.

There is a part of me that wants to completely layer up and go exploring - at least to just see what the town looks like, maybe poke my nose in Geno's and see what's going on.  

Things are being cancelled.  One of my swing dancer friends told me the Swing Nuts dance at the North Deering Grange has been bagged.  Going in to work today at the Orchard from 4 to 7 - also a little crazy.  It was cold and windy walking in - three hours later there was a good two inches of snow on the ground.

I've been checking on people to see if they are safe - most are.  My dear friend C. lives in North Windham on a well-traveled but rural two-lane blacktop.  She gets off work at 11, some 10 minutes from now.  I have to check with her on her way home as it's a very dangerous storm.

The intense cold makes the snowflakes almost crystalline - and this works in our favor.  The snow is fine and powdery.  If it was warmer it would be sloppy and wet - this is cry; I could walk from the garage in my regular black dress shoes and not really feel too cold.  My feet didn't get wet and therefore didn't get cold.

This is a deceptive comfort.  The wind itself will pull heat out of the body, this weather is fantastically dangerous.

So we will see how much we've forgotten about our cold-weather drill.  Let's hope we all sleep safe and warm in our beds tonight.

No comments: