Sunday, July 29, 2012

Saturday Into Sunday, Rain Into Wine


This is a picture of the statue of director John Ford.

If I had grown up living in Portland, Maine, I would've stopped by this statue almost every chance I got in order to sit on one of the stones and have a private chat with him.

Mr. Ford was a Portland Maine native who grew up on the Irish side of the town.

It's kind of neat to see where he used to live. Only a small bit of its original ambience is left, still you can still see some traces of the original ethnic neighborhoods.

This has been a very challenging week. The store has been very busy, and I have been working with colleagues to run our youth camp in the store.

I took time this rainy evening to take a long walk around the Old Port section of the city.

As many of my friends have told me if I don't sit down and spend some time writing music every week I get very, very cranky.

This week has been no exception. Therefore it's been refreshing to walk about the city on a rainy night and see the life of people with more mundane lives, see them spending time out and about enjoying the town.

There are several ideas for pieces of music chasing themselves around inside my poor head. I know I'm going to have to set time aside to tie ideas together. As usual, I'm not really sure how these are going to come out.


As for Mr. Ford, he is the director of one of my favorite all-time motion pictures "The Quiet Man". It features an epic knock down. teeth-busting drag-out fight between John Wayne and Victor McGlaglin.

It also features a wonderful love story between John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.  It's kind of how I hope things can go.

This movie is probably my favorite romantic movie of all time. My favorite film overall is "The Lion In Winter" because of its historical setting, unbelievably witty dialogue, and painfully honest depiction of a family that puts the fun in dysfunctional on one single Christmas evening when no one gets what they want for Christmas.

So as I walk around the city listening to my feet against the wet pavement, looking at couples enjoying the evening life of the town, I have to wonder what direction my creativity is going to take as I continue down this new path that is opened up.

Maybe at some point I'm going to sit down on one of the stones and have a long, quiet, perhaps mumbled-out-loud conversation with the statue of Mr. Ford.

In the same way my secret garden served as a safe place for me to express my creativity when I was a child, perhaps Mr. Ford may have some words of wisdom to help me now that I am much, much older.

If I have enough brains to listen, perhaps he will have enough patience to talk.

By the way this blog post was dictated using the Mountain Lion operating system on my Mac. I will have to see if this has an effect - either good or bad - on my writing. Please let me know what you think.

Portland, Maine.

No comments: