Sunday, March 13, 2011

Fall forward, Spring Back - Feed a cold, starve a cold


So now we've launched our 2nd Generation magical computer device. I've been so excited I've not been getting sleep - working out my nerves by writing a fairly challenging new tango.

I like this new piece. I tend to like all of my pieces, frankly - but this one really seems to say what's on my mind, the joy and the tension, the excitement and contemplation that always fight for supremacy in my spirit.

I'm taking some time off next week - I really don't think in terms of vacations and free time - ordinarily, anyway.

There's a lovely bed/breakfast overlooking Boothbay Harbour, about 45 miles north up Route One. During "The Season" it's quite a tourist haven; my digs for four nights would have cost a good bit North of $1,500 - I'm getting them for about $500, including full breakfast.

And I'm a big breakfast guy.

People at the Orchard who have worked full-time from the opening (I've been full time for just over a year) seem to take huge vacations - it was pointed out to me that 100 hours of vacation is more than two weeks, rather than just over 4 days (96+ hours or so). I just don't think that way.

So, before "The Season" starts, while stores are being painted, docks being repaired and fishermen doing actual work, I'm going to stop and just watch the tide change, probably singing "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" - or, more realistically, thinking about what I have to do to get my music to sound the way I really hear it.

If you really believe in what you do, that it can do some good, you have to act. I suppose I am, that everything I've done in my life has led to this direction, to the moment I'm sitting in now, for good or ill.

Let's see what happens, shall we?

No comments: