Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Barner at the PMH

MobileMe gallery is here.

I am resolved - which is really rather easy, except for the part where you have to admit to yourself you've let yourself down - to post more often here.

The current location is Market House Coffee, on the floor above the Portland Market House and above the shop of my favorite cheesemonger (and tall, leggy, lovely redheaded entrepreneur) K. Horton.

Both floors are under her stewardship. She had a stall in the late, lamented Public Market. I can see the Market's shell from where I sit, straight down Preble Street. It's being redone as offices for a phone banking company that makes calls for collection agencies - at least recessions favor some industries.

Still, my friend W.'s architecture firm got the redesign contract, so it's not all bad.

The room here on the second floor of the Market House is bright and warm; large windows on both ends of the room let rich light shine on the exposed brickwork.

The far wall from the couch I'm currently draped over has a triptych by my colleague from the Orchard - James Barner, by name.

He's a blond, bearded man, strong of build and possessed of a wiry intelligence. An engaging observational mind drives his unique humor - I think he'd be a formidable creator of risqué French knock-knock jokes.

I do know he makes interesting art - my eye keeps wandering across the room to look at the faces he's chosen.

Any art that makes you take time to be engaged is worth supporting - damned shame, then, that I can't afford to buy any of it.

Oh well - it's enough to know the possibilities are there.

No comments: