Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wednesday with Scone and Fresh Grapefruit Juice


For the moment ... for this one wonderful moment - I'm back here at Mousse, on the edge of Monument Square, enjoying the crowds, the noise of trucks backing up, children and parents exploring the stands of the Farmer's Market - in short, another perfect Wednesday in August, here in Portland, Maine.

President Obama was down - up? - in Portsmouth yesterday ... I wish I'd had a chance to go be a part of the crowd. Work intervened, though it was an enjoyable intervention.

I'm getting fed up with all of the lies and manipulation - and inherent stupidity - of the current national "debate" (giving it more grace than it deserves) on healthcare. I don't have health insurance right now and am working out of pocket. The years since last I was in the position have seen a lot of compensatory mechanisms in place - generic drugs, special "$4" lists of medicines, things like that - but there's a lot more to be done.

So I guess the beauty of the day has a deeper emotional context. Which is what makes it so beautiful, as opposed to being merely "pretty".

Well. The scone, as shown, is lemon-cranberry. The juice was fresh-squeeezed - "squozen"? - as I placed my order. Grapefruit. My new favorite for today.

I'm going to rescue a pair of reading glasses from the Orchard, go visit a marching band in rehearsal (just to kind of gloat and to enjoy the ride) - then I have to sit down and really give the writing for "Inuk" a bash.

More on this later.

No comments: