Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday In the Park With Jim


I have been remiss - again - with keeping this updated.  Popular wisdom says you should post 3-5 times every week.

My return from Oklahoma saw me being launched into the deep end of a very large fund-raising pool.  The first video interview I'd conducted led to either editing or filming 5 more - plus preparing DVD's for general sharing and fund-raising purposes.

In all, thirty minutes of work had to be prepared in 8 days.  This was in addition to working more hours in the Orchard and taking more tango classes - or helping out at same.

So, with a lot of this behind me I can stop for an hour here in Post Office Park.  The weather has turned fairly nice - pleasant enough in a grey sort of way to let me have a cup of soup and relax outside O'Naturals eatery.

Sitting here has already produced a small parade of people I know - a District Court Judge whose sons I taught, a couple of actors I've worked with, people like that.

I hear the sound of a clarinet busking around the corner.  He's not using his register key and so it's all in the chalumeau register - only low notes, but it's got a kind of jazzy, bluesy - and ballsy - sound.  He's got some good licks going.  It's a nice counterpoint to the seagulls dive bombing the hot dog stand across the way.

You hear and see different things here than at my usual locations and now that the weather has turned a bit more pleasant I'll have to haunt them more often.  Set aside the inevitable cigarette smoke you put up with by sitting outdoors and it's a very pleasant way to pass time.

I suppose it would be more fun with a glass of Absinthe or Scotch but to be a boulevardier  you have to have a boulevard - and the closest one only has runners on it.

Scotch I can get anywhere.

Well - more stories of Post Office Park as they occur.  Right now I have to go write music.

No comments: