Monday, January 12, 2009

Bebe, Es Exterior Frio!


The second and fourth Mondays of each month are tango nights at the NorthStar Music Cafe.  My friends Tango Mucha Labia are playing in three hours or so, a lesson starts at seven, DJ'd music at 8:00.

Now - at 6:20 - the chairs are still occupied by innocent diners and some kind of pop-based music is on the sound system.  

In less than forty minutes the chairs will all moved and a little bit of Buenos Aires will heat up this little corner at the foot of Munjoy Hill ("BA on Munjo", I suppose).

It was a nice walk over here.  I've spent the day mostly rewiring my apartment, cleaning and trying to make room for a new computer system.  Also to make the place more presentable - though, frankly, who I'd present it to is a complete mystery.

Maine has a reputation - exceeded only by Vermont - as a "lily-white" state and as stated earlier it does have its issues.

This reputation is belied - or denied - by those of us who live in Portland.  The largest city in the state also has the most diverse - well, mathematically diverse, anyway - population in the state.

My experience of this is based on hanging out with folks like the tango crew, very well-educated, very-unselfconciously-chic people who have experienced - and now insist on - having their lives spiced by hearing different languages, seeing different faces, thinking different thoughts.  They have a sense of self - be it style, personality or just habit - that is delighted by difference.

At the other end are the street people I run into - panhandlers, drunks - or the ethnic folks I know - Somalis, Natives - or married and semi-settled folks - the H's, the W's.  All of them are blazingly intelligent and frank and realistic, just like the tango crew.

And then the Orchard crew - dozens of the most diverse, interesting, intelligent folks I've ever seen gathered in one place here in the state of Maine.

So there I am, walking through the gathered darkness of the middle of a Maine Winter.  Twenty degrees, snow crunching underfoot.  Behind me I hear two women walking, sharing rapid words in Spanish.

I can catch a few, calore (warm), bueno (good) - too fast for me to tell.

Still, it's a comforting sound, musical (George Carlin used to recommend listening to a baseball game in Spanish to really enjoy the music and drama), warm and rich.  I think it's odd - both Spanish and Cherokees seem so out of place in the context of this cold place.  But, as has been observed before I really like it here - Winter always caught my imagination.

My ignorance is my anonymity.  The conversation continues, rich and animated, give and take, not so much an argument as a working out of something.  I can't tell.

Home is where you find it, or what you make of it.  

Where you are yourself, even if no-one else knows who you are while you are there.  As long as you know yourself, every smile has its own lingua franca.

I only know I cannot tell what is said, perhaps only what is felt.  Such a lovely feeling for such a cold night.

No comments: